Campus News: practicing sustainability
A month of sustainability
September offers a host of events promoting sustainability:
- Thursday: drop off office and personal electronics for recycling from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Student Center East and Hull-House. Same hours Sept. 18 at Student Center West
- Saturday: at the UIC Open House, the Office of Sustainability will lead half-hour walking tours of the east campus to discuss green infrastructure. Tours begin at 9, 10 and 11 a.m. and noon in the quad
- Sept. 15: the Transportation Fair and Cycling Extravaganza, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the quad, includes bike workshops and a chance to test-drive the Leaf, Nissan’s electric vehicle. Drop off Sustainability Scavenger Hunt passports to redeem prizes
- Sept. 16: “What’s in it for Me? The Power of Residential Energy Choices,” noon, Great Cities Institute, 400 CUPPA Hall. Industry experts explain how Chicago area residents can fight dependence on fossil fuels and reduce energy costs
- Sept. 17: George Marshall discusses his book Don’t Even Think About It: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Ignore Climate Change, 1 p.m., 605 Student Center East.
- Sept. 17: Rededication of Chicago Circle Memorial Grove, 3 p.m., adjacent to the Science and Engineering Offices building
- Sept. 18: Campus Electronic Recycling Event for office and personal electronics, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Student Center West
- Sept. 23-25: “Weigh Your Waste,” 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., UIC all-you-care-to-eat dining facilities at James J. Stukel Towers, Student Center West and Student Center East.
- Sept. 23: “Plastic Paradise: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch” documentary, 3 p.m., Latino Cultural Center, and Sept. 29, 3 p.m. Sept. 29, School of Public Health auditorium.
The Academic Professional Advisory Committee will host a speed networking event from noon to 1:30 p.m. Sept. 22 in 1-470 Daley Library. The session is aimed at making connections between academic professionals.
UIC marks National Postdoc Appreciation Week with an ice cream social on campus Sept. 16 and a symposium on entrepreneurship and innovation at the University of Chicago Sept. 17.
The ice cream social, sponsored by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, will be held from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. in the Dorothy Bradley Atkins Medicinal Plant Garden, 1737 W. Polk St. The symposium, for postdocs from UIC, the University of Chicago, Northwestern University, Rush University and Argonne National Laboratory, will be held from 4-6 p.m. at the Chicago Innovation Exchange, 5235 S. Harper Court.
Charity fund drive under way
The annual Campus Charitable Fund Drive runs through Nov. 26.
The drive supports the State and University Employees Combined Appeal, comprising 12 umbrella charities, each with a different philanthropic mission and representing more than 2,000 charitable organizations. Each department designates a drive “ambassador” who provides information and resources to help reach unit and campus-wide goals.
Better teaching through technology
Learn more about using technology to enhance learning at the 2014 UIC TechTeach Conference Oct. 14 in the UIC Forum. The conference includes presentations, exhibits and a networking cocktail hour.