Deaths: Hannelore Loevy
Hannelore Loevy, Dentistry
Hannelore Loevy, 81, retired professor of clinical pediatric dentistry in the College of Dentistry, died March 24.
During her long career she was a pediatric dentist, researcher, instructor, historian, editor and author.
Born in Berlin, Germany, she and her family emigrated to Sao Paolo, Brazil. She received her dental degree from the University of Sao Paulo in 1952, then came to the U.S. to earn her master’s in pediatric dentistry from the College of Dentistry in 1959 and her Ph.D. in anatomy from the College of Medicine in 1961.
She was a faculty member in the department of anatomy from 1963 to 1965, the College of Pharmacy from 1968 to 1972 and the department of pediatric dentistry from 1972 until her retirement in 2006.
She was also on the faculty at the University of Sao Paolo, Loyola University Chicago and Northwestern University.
Loevy was involved in many campus and college committees, including the UIC Senate.
Active in organized dentistry, she was former president of the Chicago Section of the American Association for Dental Research/International Association for Dental Research and its Craniofacial Biology group and former president of the Illinois Society of Pediatric Dentists.
She was the first female regent in the International College of Dentists and the first female chair of the Board of Governors of the Odontographic Society of Chicago.
For her involvement in organized dentistry, she received the college’s F. William Towner Award in 2004.
She was editor of the Journal of the History of Dentistry and the Journal of Dentistry for Children. She was the author of Dental Management of the Child Patient, also published in German and Italian, and co-author of Dentistry on Stamps. She contributed more than 100 articles and abstracts to scientific journals.
Bruce Graham, dean of the College of Dentistry, remembered her as “a loyal faculty member … a wise and knowledgeable parliamentarian … and a nationally recognized historian of the dental profession who has preserved the history of women in our profession for posterity.”