Letting music be my guide
I’ve done something that I only do on very rare occasions; I finished my homework in advance! I never have the time or the opportunity to do this kind of thing, but I had to make sure I did it last week. Why? Well, I have this great opportunity to attend a weeklong music event in a different state.
I’m attending CMJ’s Music Marathon in New York City through Sunday! CMJ Music Marathon is a week of great learning opportunities, networking and attending shows. There are industry professionals talking about touring, marketing and so many other aspects of the industry. There are over 1,200 shows that will be taking place around several venues around the city of New York.
I will also be attending ‘Stache Media’s events that they have planned out for their alumni and current interns. They have a great agenda set up for us that will include musicians, performances and speakers from labels as well. I know that at both of these events I will have the chance to network and try to land a job after I graduate.
I am extremely excited to be part of this wonderful opportunity and now all I have to do is pack, buy snacks, and build a killer playlist for the road. So look forward to my next post, where I will give you all the details of my trip and all the great things I learned at CMJ. Until then, I started on that playlist and you can check it out below.
- ‘Guns For Hands’ – Twenty One Pilots
- ‘Contagious’ – Night Riots
- ‘Break the Cycle’ – You+Me
- ‘Q.U.E.E.N’ – Janelle Monae
- ‘The City’ – The 1975
- ‘Of the Night’ – Bastille
- ‘Right Back At It Again’ – A Day To Remember
- ‘City Of Blinding Lights’ – U2
- ‘Here I Am (Kaskade Remix)’ – David Morales ft. Tamra Keenan
- ‘Vogue’ – Madonna
- ‘Out of My League’ – Fitz & the Tantrums
- ‘Fresh Start Fever’ – You Me at Six
- ‘Don’t Stop (Color on the Walls)’ – Foster the People
- ‘City of Angels’ – Thirty Seconds to Mars
- ‘Greased Lighting’ – Grease
Kris Fuentes Cortes is a senior in communication, a Boston native, an active student around campus, and a dreamer of working in the world of music. She wants to become a tour manager for a band and travel internationally while she’s still young. She’s the assistant marketing director for UIC Radio.