USG report: consistent tuition, more student input
The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) actively serves as the voice for the undergraduate class. Here’s the latest news from USG:
News from the USG President
• The UIC Senators and I voted to approve the reinstatement of the minor in religious studies program.
• We have been pushing to keep tuition, which has been rising for the last 15 years, fairly constant for next year.
• Student fees are set to rise just 2.36 percent next year (a $20 increase).
Notes from Student Centers Board
• For any students seeking a smaller and more intimate workout facility, the Sports and Recreation Facility on the west side of campus is a good place to check out.
• Expect to see new furniture and new paint in the Pier Room in Student Center East this spring.
• If you’d like to have a voice in the upcoming changes to the Student Centers, be on the lookout for surveys. Some of these proposed changes include updates to dining halls and cafeterias.
What USG is working on
• Led by our Grounds, Maintenance and Infrastructure Committee, we will evaluate all of the learning environments on campus. We will go to each building and check its conditions to make recommendations on things to fix. If you see one of our bright orange boxes on campus, please give us your feedback about the building you are in.
• We are increasing our student outreach efforts. Thanks to our Communications and Recruitment Committee, USG now has a kiosk where students can talk to us. Our locations and hours are highlighted on our website,
• Commuter Town Hall with USG vice president Mateo Uribe, noon to 1 p.m. and 3 to 4 p.m. Nov. 27, Commuter Student Resource Center multipurpose room
For more information on USG, visit facebook.com/UICUSG or www.uic-usg.org. Follow USG on Twitter at @UICUSG and email USG at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Mike Queroz is the chair of the USG Communications & Recruitment Committee. Reach him at email@example.com