UIC commencement May 6-10
More than 7,500 students will be honored at ceremonies for 14 colleges. Hinojosa will receive an honorary degree, and Dzau will receive the College of Medicine Medal of Honor.
With 28,000 students, UIC is Chicago’s largest university and has the nation’s largest medical school. UIC has one of the most diverse student bodies in the U.S. and is among the nation’s leading universities in federal research funding.
College commencements take place at the UIC Pavilion, 525 S. Racine Ave., and the UIC Forum, 725 W. Roosevelt Road. The schedule is as follows:
- Honors College: May 6, 7 p.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: Diane Primo, founder and CEO of IntraLink Global and founder of a West Side homeless shelter.
- Nursing: May 7, 1 p.m., UIC Pavilion. Speakers: Bonnie and Mark Barnes, founders of the DAISY Foundation to combat diseases attacking the immune system and creators of the DAISY Award for extraordinary nurses.
- Applied Health Sciences: May 7, 2 p.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: Grant Korgan, extreme sport and adventure athlete overcoming spinal cord injury.
- Education: May 7, 6:30 p.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Incarceration expert Nell Bernstein, author of “Burning Down the House: The End of Juvenile Prison.”
- Pharmacy: May 7, 7:30 p.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: William Fitzsimmons, UIC alumnus and executive vice president of Astellas Pharma Global Development, Inc.
- Jane Addams College of Social Work: May 8, 9 a.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Mark Mattaini, UIC associate professor and author or editor of 11 books on social work.
- Urban Planning and Public Affairs: May 8, 10 a.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: former Ohio Lt. Gov. Lee Fisher, president and chief executive officer of CEOs for Cities.
- Medicine: May 8, 2 p.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Dr. Victor J. Dzau, president of the Institute of Medicine. Dzau will also receive the College of Medicine Medal of Honor for outstanding advocacy for health and healthcare.
- Public Health: May 8, 3:30 p.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: Dr. LaMar Hasbrouck, executive director of the National Association of County and City Health Officials.
- Business Administration: May 9, 9 a.m. UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Steven L. Fradkin, president of the wealth management business unit at Northern Trust.
- Dentistry: May 9, 10 a.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: Dean Clark Stanford, UIC Distinguished Professor.
- Engineering: May 9, 2 p.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Jenny Zhao, UIC alumna and general manager of Google Beijing and director of engineering for Google Search.
- Architecture, Design, and the Arts: May 9, 7 p.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Mike Delfini, UIC alumnus and executive vice president and chief operating officer of the Shedd Aquarium.
- Liberal Arts and Sciences: May 10, 10 a.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Maria Hinojosa, award-winning news anchor and reporter. Hinojosa will also receive the honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters.
LAS is UIC’s largest college commencement, with more than 2,300 graduates; about 7,000 graduates and guests are expected to fill the UIC Pavilion to capacity May 10.