Facilities, Grounds, Parking and Transportation
Building Preparations and Signage
- Building-specific reopening plans have been approved for all university buildings.
- Signage has been installed in public spaces of all UIC buildings to reinforce health and safety practices. Printable signage can be accessed as needed from the Road to Recovery webpage.
- Floor decals, colored tape or signs indicate where individuals should stand while waiting in line to reinforce social/physical distancing.
- Some building stairways have been designated for up or down traffic only, except for emergencies.
- Building ventilation systems will operate according to CDC considerations for Institutions of Higher Education. In addition to ensuring proper operation, ventilation will be adjusted to increase fresh air mechanically, as well as increase filtration levels as system age and capabilities allow.
- All building water systems have been flushed and tested to ensure water quality is within acceptable standards.
Building Access and Re-entry
- Entry to most UIC buildings will be regulated and monitored using the UIC i-card for swipe access. Do not prop or hold open exterior doors. Classroom buildings and other high-traffic facilities will be open.
- Staff arrivals and departures have been scheduled in 30-minute increments to reduce personal interactions in common areas.
- Visitors inside university-owned buildings are not permitted. Some exceptions may apply, including approved on-campus interactions, which may include, but are not limited to, research collaboration, student support, admission events, move-in/move out, construction and maintenance tasks, and business and education operations.
- Parking has resumed normal operations and individuals may park in assigned permit location(s).
- Parking payroll deductions may be suspended for individuals who will not be returning to campus immediately.
- A discounted daily parking program is available for students and staff on a per-use basis.
- If you need to visit a parking office, email email@example.com or call ahead to reduce contact time. Service office occupancy will be limited.
- Check the Parking Services website for updates.
Buses and shuttles
- The Intracampus Bus Service continues to provide free transportation for students, faculty, and staff via two bus routes: the UIC Intracampus Route and the Semester Express. The UIC Library Shuttle will continue to provide on-call service. All services are listed on the UIC Transportation website. Riders should continue to use the UIC Shuttle Tracker to obtain bus locations in real-time.
- Face coverings or masks must be worn by all drivers and riders.
- Buses are being cleaned twice per day with an EPA-approved cleaner and an intensive deep cleaning of each bus/shuttle will occur regularly.
- Board and exit the bus using the rear doors and practice social distancing.