Learning Management System
ACCC offers these resources for working remotely:
- Webex Meetings: Host a video and/or audio conference with integrated collaboration tools such as whiteboard, chat, and screen share.
- Zoom: Host a video and/or audio conference with integrated collaboration tools such as whiteboard, chat, and screen share. Zoom is also integrated with the Blackboard systems.
- Blackboard Collaborate: Conduct real-time online lectures. Instructors and TAs can create individual (and repeat) sessions on their own without requesting a session to be created or activated. All session links and recordings are in Blackboard.
Virtual collaboration spaces
- Microsoft Teams: A chat-based workspace and real-time collaboration tool that combines workplace chat, meetings, file storage, and application integration. Please note: MS Teams is not an approved HIPAA-compliant resource at UIC.
- Google Chat: Offers direct messaging to group conversations. This solution is available to students automatically; faculty and staff must request a UIC G Suite account.
- LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor to provide online proctoring for exams. Before deciding to use Respondus to proctor your exams, review the limitations and learn about alternative assessments.
- Panopto: Record or upload and share short lectures in Blackboard; embed quizzes and add close captions.
- Echo360: Create or upload and share recordings using Universal Capture in Echo360; add quizzes and enable automated close captions; students can mark content, take notes, and more. Recommended if you used to record lectures in one of the Echo360 equipped classrooms. Instructors need to request access to Echo360 engagement features.
- VoiceThread: Create a shared presentation that anyone in the course can comment on either by text, voice, or video. Useful to collect and grade students’ oral presentations online.
Computer labs and software
The Virtual Computer Lab provides access to specialized software (such as Matlab, SPSS, and SolidWorks), but from students’ own computers.
All UIC students, faculty, and staff also have access to the Microsoft Office 365 . This software can be accessed online, or can be installed on personal devices. The University of Illinois WebStore also offers many software titles free or at reduced costs for UIC students, faculty, and staff.
Academic instruction, faculty support, and student success
Faculty and students can access resources listed on the ACCC website. Important support features include:
- How to use the UIC supported learning technologies and resources to become better online learners, as well as and troubleshooting tips.
- A step-by-step guide to the resources and best practices for faculty who are new to teaching online.
- Live consultations on course design and technologies supported by Learning Technology Solutions, via Instructional Design Office Hours.
- Live guidance for how to use video and graphics for blended and online courses via Multimedia Consultation Office Hours.
- Requests for customized seminars with instructional designers for support in implementing online learning best practices email LTS@uic.edu.
- Webinars on LTS’s supported technologies. Access the LTS Webinar Calendar.
- View LTS quick guides by topic.
- For any support questions, please contact LTS@uic.edu