UI Health seeks donations to help support needy children and families in the neighborhoods around UIC for the 2012 Miracle on Taylor Street Annual Gift Drive.
GIftwrapped donations of educational books and toys, school supplies, hats, scarves, gloves and gift cards are due Dec. 19, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the College of Pharmacy lobby. Please label with gender and age range.
For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The U-Pass program, which provides students with unlimited rides on CTA buses and trains, now includes paratransit services for eligible students.
To be eligible, students must present a certification letter from the RTA to the UIC ID Center. Eligible students will receive PACE ADA One Ride Tickets for paratransit services.
For more information, call the ID Center at 312-413-5940 or the Disability Resource Center at 312-413-2183.
A search is under way to replace Mark Donovan, vice chancellor for administrative services, who will retire in January 2014.
Terri Weaver, dean of the College of Nursing, will chair the search committee. Members of the committee include:
• Pablo Acevedo, associate director of facilities management
• Richard Anderson, interim director of the Environmental Health and Safety Office
• Michael Bass, senior associate vice president for business and finance
• Clarence Bridges, director of operations and maintenance
• Elvin Chan, assistant director, Asian American Resource and Cultural Center
• John DeNardo, clinical assistant professor, division of health policy and administration
• Jeffrey Fortman, director, Biologic Resources Laboratory
• Heather Haberaecker, executive assistant vice president for business and finance
• Michael Hites, associate vice president, administrative information technology services
• Robin Jones, project director and instructor, Institute on Disability and Human Development
• Darlene Kendall, financial analyst/planner, Physical Plant administration
• David Loffing, chief operating officer, hospital administration
• John Richardson, UIC Police chief
• Thomas Riley, director of labor and employee relations
• Robert Rouzer, executive associate director of campus auxiliary services
• Albert Schorsch, associate dean, College of Urban Planning and Public Affairs
• Byron Sigcho, president, Graduate Student Council
• David Taeyaerts, director of the Office of Campus Learning Environments
• Keith Thulborn, director of MRI research.
A new listserv is dedicated to helping Iranian students at UIC share information and news on academic, cultural and social issues.
Students can sign up for the email@example.com listserv by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and writing “signup iran (your full name)” in the body of the email. The subject line should remain blank.
The SharePoint Shared Service is a new business and collaboration platform available to units and departments.
SharePoint can be used for document storage, discussion boards, calendars, project management, business workflow, electronic forms, help-desk tickets and more.
To set up a site collection a unit or department, call Julia Hart at 217-244-3482 or email email@example.com
The 8th annual College of Business Administration Concept2Venture Business Plan Competition Dec. 17-18 helps undergraduate and graduate student teams from any of UIC’s 15 colleges turn ideas into real businesses.
Students pitch their business plans to potential investors and compete for awards exceeding $10,000 cash for their business ideas, plus in-kind services.
Registration is required.
For more information, call 312-996-2670.
Interested in museums?
Students can explore museum careers at an information session Dec. 18 for the museum and exhibition studies program.
The event takes place from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the National Museum of Mexican Art, 1852 W. 19th St.
The interdisciplinary, two-year master’s program prepares students for work in art, anthropology, history, science and other types of museums and cultural centers.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Feeling stressed during finals?
Visit the UIC Wellness Center’s interactive “Your Stress Relief Place”website to listen to soothing music, virtually relax at a Costa Rican river, play calming games and more.
Online employment verification
University employees who need employment verification to apply for a mortgage, rent an apartment or other purposes can use the online Employment Verification System available through NESSIE, the human resources website.
The online system provides immediate access to employment verification information.
Start the process at NESSIE by selecting the “Personal Info” tab, then establishing a “Vendor Access Number.” Provide the VAN number to the external business or vendor to give them access to your employment verification information.
Nominations are due Friday for the Office of Technology Management’s annual UIC Inventor of the Year Award, along with a new award — Innovator of the Year.
Each award recognizes an outstanding faculty member who has worked with the Office of Technology Management in the technology transfer process.
Winners will each receive a one-time $3,500 prize and a commemorative award, presented Feb. 20.
Submissions can be entered in one category (either inventor or innovator).
UIC will observe a reduced service schedule from Dec. 27 through Dec. 31.
On reduced service days, UIC will not be officially closed, and essential services, including security, will be provided. General administrative offices will close and doors to academic buildings will be locked.
University employees are asked to use accrued vacation time or floating holidays to cover these three days.
Staff members who would like to work during the reduced service days should notify their supervisor in writing by Dec. 1.
Campus units that do not observe the reduced service schedule include the UI Hospital and clinics, Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services, Facilities Management and Capital Programs, Environmental Health and Safety Office, Telecommunication Services, Facility and Space Planning, University Police, Campus Auxiliary Services and Biologic Resources Laboratory.
For more information, call 312-413-4788 or email email@example.com