It’s very interesting to see how people can recognize if you’re from Chicago. I guess you can say that we have some character traits that are easily distinguished, landmarks that only true Chicagoans know about and small pet peeves that grind our gears. This blog will outline 10 ways that you know that you are a true Chicagoan.
- Let’s get straight into it… What is the Willis Tower? We all know that there is no such thing as a Willis Tower in Chicago – we only recognize it as the Sears Tower.
- Chicken: A true Chicagoan has had either Harold’s, Shark’s or Uncle Remus at least once in their life and brags about the experience to everyone that’s not from Chicago.
- Do you really want to drink that? No matter what side of town you’re from, you truly question whether want to drink Chicago’s tap water before you actually drink it.
- Rats: We’ve all traumatically encountered a Chicago rat. The first time I saw a Chicago rat, I thought it was a small rabbit – that’s how big they are. On the bright side, at least we can say that no other rat can beat Chicago’s rat. Uh, go Chicago Rats?
- The CTA: You’ve mastered your way around the CTA and you can easily distinguish if it’s someone’s first time riding public transportation.
- Jay Cutler: You automatically become irritated when you hear the name Jay Cutler.
- Blackhawks: As of late, you’ve accumulated a lot of red and black in your closet… hmmm I wonder why.
- UIC vs. DePaul: You know about the college rivalry and you know that Flames always burn the Blue Demons.
- You don’t even live here…: You have to explain to people that living in a Chicago suburb, or a town as far away as Naperville, means that you are not a Chicagoan! Sorry, the Chicagoan Club is very exclusive.
- Michael Jordan: Does this one even need a description?
Christian Gray is a senior majoring in marketing with a focus in promotion and communications and a minor in economics. He is president of the Student Activities Board. When he’s not planning events or doing schoolwork, you’ll catch him watching something sports related (#KOBE) or vibing out to music. His career goal growing up was to be Batman. He won’t tell you if he was successful on that mission, but let’s be real – have you ever seen him and Batman in the same place before?