Commencement at UIC
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle, bestselling author Alex Kotlowitz, Assistant Secretary for Health Dr. Howard K. Koh, and other civic and business leaders are the featured speakers at college commencements at the University of Illinois at Chicago May 2-6.
More than 7,000 students will be honored at ceremonies for 14 colleges.
With 27,500 students, UIC is Chicago’s largest university and has the nation’s largest medical school. UIC is among the nation’s leading universities in federal research funding.
College commencements take place at the UIC Pavilion, 525 S. Racine Ave., and the UIC Forum, 725 W. Roosevelt Road. The schedule is as follows:
- Honors College: May 2, 7 p.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: Dr. David Ansell, vice president for clinical affairs and chief medical officer, Rush University Medical Center.
- Nursing: May 3, 1 p.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Ada Sue Hinshaw, nursing dean, Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences.
- Applied Health Sciences: May 3, 2 p.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: Kenneth Cooper, father of the aerobics movement.
- Education: May 3, 6:30 p.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Carol D. Lee, professor of education and social policy, Northwestern University.
- Pharmacy: May 3, 7:30 p.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: William S. Marth, president and CEO for the Americas, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries.
- Jane Addams College of Social Work: May 4, 9 a.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Mildred Joyner, president of the Council on Social Work Education.
- Urban Planning and Public Affairs: May 4, 10 a.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: Toni Preckwinkle, Cook County Board president.
- Medicine: May 4, 2 p.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Assistant Secretary for Health Dr. Howard K. Koh, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Public Health: May 4, 3:30 p.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: Alex Kotlowitz, bestselling author of “There Are No Children Here” and producer of the Indie Spirit Awards Best Documentary for 2012, “The Interrupters.”
- Business Administration: May 5, 9 a.m. UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Carl J. Schramm, leading authority on entrepreneurship, innovation and economic growth and co-founder of the Obama administration’s “Start Up America” initiative.
- Dentistry: May 5, 10 a.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: Dean Bruce Graham.
- Engineering: May 5, 2 p.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Glenn Neland, former senior vice president of Dell Worldwide Procurement and Global Experience.
- Architecture and Arts: May 5, 7 p.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Eva Maddox, design principal for branded environments, Eva L. Maddox Associates.
- Liberal Arts and Sciences: May 6, 10 a.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: George Crabtree, distinguished professor of physics and electrical and mechanical engineering at UIC and senior scientist and distinguished fellow at Argonne National Laboratory.
LAS is the largest college commencement. About 7,000 graduates and guests are expected to fill the UIC Pavilion to capacity.