Dentistry makes big plans for centennial
Beginning next month, the College of Dentistry will celebrate the 100th anniversary of the year it became a fully recognized college in the University of Illinois system.
“It will be a year of honoring not only the college’s history, but the alumni, friends, students, faculty, staff and corporate and organized dentistry partners who have embraced our commitment to excellence in dental education and who have been inspired by our vision to make our college a world leader over the past 100 years,” said dean Bruce Graham.
Events planned for the centennial year include:
• pizza party before the UIC vs. Loyola men’s basketball game Jan. 16. Party 5:30 p.m., Student Services Building; game 7 p.m., UIC Pavilion. $5 for party and game
• reception in conjunction with Chicago Dental Society Meeting, 6 to 8 p.m. Feb. 22, Hotel Intercontinental, 505 N. Michigan Ave.
• Clinic and Research Day, March 7, College of Dentistry. Continuing education credit available. Keynote speaker James E. Melvin, clinical director, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of health. Event includes presentations, exhibits, competitions, networking and food. 312-996-3465 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Dental Student Council Spring Formal, March date TBA
• Reunion, UIC and Loyola dentistry alumni and faculty, April 26, Carlisle Banquets, Lombard
• Spirit of Peoria Riverboat Tour, June 15, Peoria
• “Hundred Years of Research Excellence: Celebrating our College’s Legacy,” June 16 to June 20, Chicago
• Continuing Education at Sea Alaskan cruise, July 4, through July 11. email@example.com or 312-806-1064
• Golf outing, Sept. 11, Cog Hill Golf & Country Club, Lemont
• Book launch, Sept. 15, College of Dentistry
• Alumni reception at Illinois State Dental Society annual session, Sept. 20, Bloomington
• Tailgate party at Illini vs. Wisconsin football game Oct. 19. Charter bus available from UIC
• Centennial celebration and black-tie gala, Nov. 16,Grand Ballroom, Navy Pier.