CIEE Frederick Douglass Fellowship: Open Advising (virtual)
Date / Time
February 3, 2022
11:00 am - 1:00 pm
UIC study abroad partner, CIEE, is sponsoring the Frederick Douglass Fellowship, a unique opportunity for students to receive funding to participate in a CIEE study abroad experience in honor of the abolitionist and statesman, Frederick Douglass.
Frederick Douglass Global Fellows will explore conflict and injustice from various perspectives and the leaders who sought to affect positive change for their communities and their countries. Fellows will return to America with new perspectives on how effective leaders influence positive social change and inspired to be the catalyst for positive change in their communities and in our world.
The UIC Study Abroad Office is hosting open advising hours for students who are interested in applying for this opportunity. Please drop in our virtual advising room any time between 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM central on February 3rd to discuss the application process and receive tips from UIC study abroad staff.
Register for open advising hours.
For more details about the fellowship, see below and visit CIEE’s website here.
- Award will cover the full cost of travel to and from participation in a four-week, three-credit study abroad program sponsored by CIEE.
- Sixteen (16) will be selected.
- Fellows are expected to present and share their study abroad experience with their campus community upon their return to campus.
- Up to 10 students who submit an application for the fellowship but who are not selected will still receive a $1,500 grant for a CIEE study abroad program.
FREDERICK DOUGLASS GLOBAL FELLOW APPLICANTS MUST:
- Be a current undergraduate freshman, sophomore or junior.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.00.
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or permanent resident.
- Identify as an ethnicity typically underrepresented on study abroad programs (e.g. American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander).
- Submit a complete application no later than Feb. 14.