Clinical Associate Professor of Civil and Materials Engineering
Hossein Ataei is a civil engineering faculty member at the University of Illinois Chicago, where he is also the department’s director of undergraduate studies. He teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in civil, structural and construction engineering, and he is director of the Construction Engineering and Management program. He is a registered professional engineer in Canada — British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec — and in the United States — Nevada, Texas and Wyoming.
Ataei has industry experience in the structural design of civil infrastructure systems, business administration of heavy civil projects and project controls of large-scale civil infrastructure for global engineering-procurement and construction firms. He also has worked in risk advisory consulting services for capital construction and infrastructure projects.
Areas of Expertise
- Civil infrastructure systems
- Construction engineering and management
- Critical interrelated civil engineering infrastructure systems
- Design of structures and civil infrastructure for dynamic loads and man-made threats
- Engineering education
- Engineering ethics
- Forensic civil engineering
- Future of engineering and STEM education
- Professional engineering practice
- Urban Affairs