For the love of podcasts
Podcasts are broadcasted audio files, usually highlighting a specific topic, theme or idea, available in episodes online and through apps on any smartphone. Whether on transit, on my way to work, in between classes or cleaning up the house, I put my headphones in and zone out to my daily pods. After months and months of indulging, I realized podcasts are great for developing language skills, storytelling, learning new and interesting things and relaxing.
I’ve compiled a list of my favorite podcasts. Listen to one that suits your interests or listen to them all! Either way, they’re educational and convenient.
- Serial: For all the criminology, law, and justice majors, and lovers of crime shows, Serial Podcast is perfect you! It focuses on a homicide case that took place in 1999 that sparked major controversy. As the broadcasters continue to review the elements of the case, they realize that the man convicted of the crime may not have been the true culprit
- The Message: Calling all science majors! Listen to this podcast as investigators decode the first recorded message from extraterrestrials in outer space
- The Read: This pod is for those who want to keep up with current events in popular culture, but don’t have the time to scroll through social media all day! The Read covers the hottest and funniest current events each week.
- This American Life: This is a wonderful collection of stories focused on a different theme each week. If you’re looking to develop your storytelling skills, give this pod a listen. I’ve learned interesting and obscure lessons from this podcast, like what to do when a raccoon with rabies charges at you. I’m serious. This is a good one
- Women of The Hour: This one is for feminists! Lena Dunham hosts this amazing podcast that highlights empowering women each week as they explore relevant themes centered around womanhood.
- NPR Politics: Want to know more about politics, social issues, current events or the presidential race? Listen to NPR Politics.
- TED Radio Hour: Listen to the motivational speeches, lessons and stories from some of the greatest and most creative minds in the world!
Subscribe to these podcasts on iTunes, listen on the Podcast app on your smartphone or on Soundcloud. I promise, you will not regret it!