Isolation and exposure guidelines
Note: The following guidance is intended for campus members not affiliated with UI Health and who do not have clinical duties, such as patient- or study-participant-facing duties. UI Health faculty and staff and students who are currently on a clinical rotation or are engaged in patient-facing activities should follow the guidance provided by University Health Services (UHS) for the clinical setting.
Effective May 12, 2023:
- Campus employees testing positive for COVID-19, who were exposed to someone with COVID-19, or who have symptoms of COVID-19 will not be required to report to contact tracing. Staff should follow departmental call-in procedures.
- The UIC COVID-19 Contact Tracing and Epidemiology Program (CCTEP) will remain available as a resource for employees who have questions related to campus guidance or require assistance navigating isolation or the post-exposure period.
- All campus employees are required to receive clearance from University Health Service (UHS) when their COVID absence exceeds three days. To receive clearance, employees have two options:
- Call (312) 996-7420 to schedule a virtual office visit with a nurse practitioner, or
- Go to the UHS clinic at 835 S. Wolcott St., Suite 144.
- Virtual and in-person appointments are offered between the hours of 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. The last patient will be registered at 3:45 p.m. The office is closed on holidays.
General campus isolation and post-exposure guidance for individuals who test positive for COVID-19
|I have tested positive for COVID-19
|I am asymptomatic
|I am or was symptomatic
|Isolate for 5 days from your positive test date AND upon returning to campus, you are required to mask in all settings on UIC's campus through day 10 from the date you tested positive.
*Day 0 begins on the day you tested positive for COVID-19. If you develop symptoms after you test positive, your clock will reset.
|Isolate for 5 days from when your symptoms started AND:
• your symptoms must have improved for at least two consecutive days, AND
• you must be fever-free for 24-hours without using fever reducing medication, AND
• it is recommended that you stay home until you are well enough to do everyday activities (chores, errands, etc.)
Upon returning to campus you are required to mask in all settings on UIC's campus through day 10 of symptom onset.
*Day 0 begins on the day your COVID-19 symptoms started.
General campus guidance for individuals exposed to COVID-19
|I had close contact with someone who has COVID-19 or who is suspected to have COVID-19
|Wear a high-quality mask or respirator (e.g., KN95 or N95) any time you are around others inside your home or in public and in all settings on UIC's campus through day 10 from your last exposure.
• Avoid areas where you are unable to mask.
• Avoid crowded areas in public.
Seek testing no sooner than 5 days after you are exposed.
• If you test positive refer to, “I have tested positive for COVID-19” guidance.
Monitor yourself for symptoms of COVID-19 for 10 days from your last exposure.
• If you develop symptoms, seek COVID-19 testing as soon as possible. If you are utilizing a COVID-19 self-test and test negative, consider repeat testing 48 hours later.
• UIC Contact Tracing will provide you with tailored guidance and support you.
If you are re-exposed or are unable to avoid contact with a COVID-19 positive person, please report to UIC Contact Tracing for guidance.
*Take extra precautions if you were exposed by someone in your household or another high-risk setting as soon as you are more likley to develop COVID-19.
**Take extra precautions if you will be around someone at high-risk for severe illness, hospitalization or death from COVID-19.