Small fire causes minor damage in College of Medicine building
A small fire closed the fifth floor of the College of Medicine West building, 1819 W. Polk St., Thursday afternoon.
The fire took place in a laboratory used mostly for storage after a fluorescent light ballast malfunctioned, said Michael Landek, executive associate vice chancellor for administrative services.
The fire was quickly extinguished but caused some minor damage to the laboratory and adjoining labs. No one was injured.
The fifth floor reopened Friday but the lab that was damaged is undergoing repairs and will be closed for several weeks.
“The fire will have no impact on any operations in the College of Medicine,” Landek said. “Everyone pitched in and did a great job.”