Undergraduate research for pay or credit!

Dear UIC Undergraduates:

Perhaps you’ve heard that research and applied learning outside the classroom can enhance your college experience and improve your academic performance and your future prospects after graduation. Maybe there is a faculty member you want to work with in a lab, studio, library, archive, clinic or out in the field or community. Or you might have an idea for a project and aren’t sure which faculty member would be best suited to advise you. The UIC Office of Undergraduate Research is here to help!

To begin exploring the possibilities, visit ure.uic.edu. Click the button that says “Students start here.” There you can search for a faculty member or a project idea using keywords, names or departments. Once you have found a “match,” use this system to reach out to a prospective supervisor. Remember to be your most professional self so you make a good first impression.

If you are a student who qualifies for and has accepted Federal Work Study for AY 17-18, you may be eligible for a Chancellor’s Undergraduate Research Award. Ask a faculty member if they would put in an application on your behalf. You can learn more here: http://ure.uic.edu/facfws.php Applications will be reviewed until the funds are depleted or the fourth week of the semester, whichever comes first. If you miss your chance for Fall, the application for Spring will open in November.

If you do not qualify for FWS/CURA, there are many other options for funding or to receive academic credit. Your degree-granting college may have a program (such as LASURI in LAS, GPIP in Engineering, UPPF in CUPPA, HUR or TERF in Education, Honors College research grants, etc.). A partial list of classes that grant credit for these engagements can be found here: http://ure.uic.edu/how_do_i_get_credit.php Some faculty are supported by grants that fund undergraduate participation. Be sure to discuss your plans and ideas with your academic advisor and/or the director of undergraduate studies in your major. And if you have tried to reach a faculty member and aren’t getting a response, let the OUR know and we will help facilitate that or another great opportunity for you.

The UIC Office of Undergraduate Research is here to inspire and support you. You can email us at our@uic.edu. Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/UICUndergraduateResearch/ Our Twitter handle is @UICOUResearch. We look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes,

Sara F. Hall, PhD
Associate Professor of Germanic Studies
Director of the Office of Undergraduate Research
Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs
The University of Illinois at Chicago
601 S. Morgan Street
2622 University Hall, MC 103
Chicago, IL 60607
(312) 355-3586

Contact: our@uic.edu

Print Friendly, PDF & Email