Weekly Advisory: November 5, 2013
- Veterans Day: UIC program helps vets start companies
- UIC Theatre sets ‘Twelfth Night’ on 20th-century island
- Neediest students most likely to miss aid deadlines
- German auto executive awarded UI alumni award
- Student veterans curate exhibit at UIC
- Saudi author, endodontist receives UI alumni award
- Study will analyze pain in dying cancer patients
- Chicago physician, public health advocate receives UIC alumni award
- UN director, Rome resident earns UIC alumni honor
- UIC spinoffs highlight importance of university research to U.S. economy
5, Tuesday: Tuesdays-at-One concert. Cheryl Wilson Trio with Zvonimir Tot, Larry Gray. Jazz vocals, guitar and double bass. 1-1:50 p.m. Education, Theatre, Music and Social Work Building, 1040 W. Harrison St. Free. Call (312) 996-2977.
7, Thursday: Tree Campus USA. Tree planting. 800 block of S. Morgan St. Noon – 2 p.m. Free. Call (312) 413-9816.
7, Thursday: “Incarceration’s Impact on Minorities, Women and Juveniles.” Marc Maurer, The Sentencing Project. 4 – 6 p.m. with reception to follow. Student Services Building, 1200 W. Harrison St. Free. Call (312) 413-2091.
10, Sunday: “A Natural Life.” Film and panel discussion on youths sentenced to life without parole with filmmaker Tirtza Even. 3 – 7 p.m. Jane Addams Hull-House Museum, Residents’ Dining Hall, 800 S. Halsted St. Free. Call (312) 413-5353.
11, Monday: “Veterans2Ventures.” Networking reception and art exhibition. East Terrace, Student Center East, 750 S. Halsted St. 3-5 p.m. Free. Media welcome. Contact Jeffon Boynés, firstname.lastname@example.org
15, Friday. Power of Nursing Leadership Event. Mary Naylor, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, keynote speaker. Annual event where nursing leaders celebrate the accomplishments of colleagues. 9:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. Hilton Chicago, 720 S. Michigan Ave. Call (312) 355-3754.
Thru Dec. 20: “The Reason Why the Colored American Is Not in the World’s Columbian Exposition.” Exhibition. Room 207, African-American Cultural Center, Addams Hall, 830 S. Halsted St. 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday – Friday. Free. Call (312) 996-9549.
Thru May 9, 2014: “Chicagoaxaca.” Exhibition. Pop Up JUST Art Center, 729 W. Maxwell St. 1 – 4 p.m., Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Free. Call (312) 355-5922.