Chillin’ in Chiberia
Cold…very, very, very cold. It is actually warmer in Anchorage, Alaska, than it is in Chicago this week. With Chiberia hanging around and the fact that we have to walk through the Arctic Tundra to get to classes, I figured I would give you some of my winter tips.
- Double up on your gloves! Yes, you might not be able to text or check Facebook while you are waiting for the bus or the L, but your fingers will thank you.
- Double up on your socks! Warm feet are happy feet.
- Double up on pants! A pair of thermals will make your legs feel much warmer instead of feeling as if they might freeze and fall off.
Are you noticing a “double up” pattern? Now is the time to layer and keep layering your clothing. This winter it’s all about the hats, gloves and scarves.
- HotHands are your best friend if you are going to be walking around for a while. I get the ones for the hands and feet, and they work pretty well. Nice and toasty!
- Warm up with a cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate. It will make you feel better…promise!
- Think warm thoughts! One day soon this weather will pass and we will be complaining about how hot and humid it is, so think warm thoughts and it will make you feel a little bit warmer.
We are Chicagoans so we’ve been through worse winters than this, last year actually, when it was -15 degrees. So many cold, cold, cold memories. Winter will eventually end, so until then, bundle up and stay warm!
Aneta Murphy is a senior majoring in applied psychology and minoring in sociology. In her spare time, Aneta enjoys going to museums, hiking, biking, fishing and reading. You’ll often find her down on the lakefront trail riding her bike with her husband. She also loves to travel and explore new cities.